Kentucky Leads Basketball Poll

The Associated Press

Jan. 5--Unbeaten Kentucky, for the third straight week, held the No. 1 spot in The Associated Press major college basketball ratings today as the rest of the top ten took a thorough scrambling.

The rampaging Wildcats added three more victims to their list last week to run their unblemished streak to 11. As a result, they drew more first place votes than ever before, 81, and boasted their biggest point lead of the season, 1,245 to 1,115 for North Carolina State, which jumped from fifth place into the runner-up spot.

The North Carolina Wolfpack, who knocked off previously unbeaten Cincinnati and Michigan State in capturing the Dixie Classic last week, drew 30 first place votes on the strength of their 9-1 record.

Olmedo Triumphs

PERTH, Australia, Jan. 5--Alex Olmedo and two of his triumphant U.S. Davis Cup teammates scored second round singles triumphs in the West Australian Tennis Championships today but another American, Chris Crawford, was beaten.

Olmedo, biggest draw in the tournament, lost one set in beating Alick Bridges, West Australia's best player. Earlier, Barry MacKay of Dayton, Ohio, and Earl Buchholz of St. Louis, had defeated their opponents in second round matches. MacKay dropped the opening set to Doug Napier of Australia but bounced back to win 4-6, 6-2, 8-6, 6-3.

Celtics Triumph

BOSTON, Jan. 5--The Boston Celtics couldn't halt Minneapolis rookie Elgin Baylor but had the team supremacy to rally for a 118-106 National Basketball Assn. victory over the Lakers tonight. Baylor poured in 30 points.