Cliffe Graduating Seniors Eligible For New $3000 Travel Scholarship

Student's Character Emphasized

By Pauline A. Rubbelke

The Gordon Foundation Scholarship, a new grant for travel abroad, will be offered to Radcliffe seniors starting this year.

Announced yesterday by Radcliffe president Wilbur K. Jordan, the scholarship will offer an award of $3000 for the next five years to a member of the graduating class. A small New York private foundation, the Gordon Foundation, Inc., established the award.

A committee composed of the president and two deans of the College will select the recipient of the scholarship, which was created to provide a year of travel abroad.

The scholarship will be granted to that senior "who in the opinion of the Selection Committee shall have attained the esteem of the Faculty and her fellow students for character, creativeness, achievement, and for keen awareness of humanity."

Although academic standing will be considered in making the award, it will not be of primary importance. According to Jordan, the girl selected will be the one who "would benefit most by a year abroad." Preference will be given to students who have never travelled abroad, or who have made only one trip.

Letters of application must be filed by seniors at the office of the Radcliffe Dean of Instruction by Feb. 1, 1960. The letters should contain a statement of proposed itinerary, the reasons for the designations, and the length of proposed stay in cities cited.