Varsity Soccer Team Bows, 1-0, On Last-Quarter Princeton Tally

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity soccer team suffered a crushing blow to its Ivy League hopes and then got a partial reprieve this weekend. An inspired Princeton eleven whipped the Crimson 1 to 0, in cold, rainy weather here Saturday, but Penn tied Yale to keep the varsity's chances alive.

On the wet, muddy field, the Tigers outplayed the Crimson for most of the game. The Princeton offense was surprisingly well-coordinated in a myriad of puddles that slowed up passes and muffled shots. And the Tiger defense, led by goalie Mickey Michel, stopped every Crimson threat with tremendous all-out efforts.

In the first half, the varsity could not launch a sustained offense, and the two teams sparred inconclusively up and down the field. The Crimson pressed harder during the third period, and really let loose with a fourth-quarter surge that seemed certain to break the scoreless deadlock.

Right wing Dick McIntosh began the late-game onslaught with a crossing shot that narrowly missed. Inside Tadgh Sweeney and left wing Larry Ekpebu followed with good, hard kicks, but Michel blocked both attempts. McIntosh then sent a beautiful pass right across the mouth of the goal, but Michel made an outstanding grab before the varsity forwards could reach the ball.

Forbush Excels Under Pressure

Seconds after the Crimson's last prolonged siege, Princeton was awarded the ball going downfield. Three missed kicks by the varsity backfield allowed Tiger center forward Tom Baskett and left inside Pete Georgescu to advance unopposed on Crimson goalie Bob Forbush. Forbush finally charged Baskett, who passed to Georgescu, two yards away from the nets and unguarded.

At that, the Crimson almost escaped unscathed. Georgescu got off a miserable dribbler that just did carom off the post into the goal. Forbush, who played magnificently under pressure, had no chance for the ball. The varsity could not penetrate the Tiger defenses in the remaining 7:15.

It was thought after the game that the loss had meant the end of chances for an unopposed Ivy crown. News from Philadelphia, however, indicated later that Penn, playing on its own field with the services of captain John Jerbasi, had tied Yale, 4 to 4. Thus, unless fate intervenes, a Crimson victory in the Yale encounter will still give the varsity the championship by half a game.