Council Bars Late Petition On Marshals

By Claude E. Welch jr.

Despite a last-minute petition by 275 Seniors, the Student Council Committee on Elections last night rejected a move to re-open nominations for Class Marshal. The 11-man group unanimously voted that any new nominations would be "unfair" to the 32 candidates already on the ballot.

"We felt that the nomination deadline had been adequately publicized," Committee chairman Albert L. Jacobs, Jr. '61, commented, although the Seniors' petition had referred specifically to the "inadequate publicity" and the "unfortunate timing" of the deadline.

Nominations were due the day before the Yale game and, according to a leader in the Senior group, "It is impossible for a football player to think about a deadline at that time." No member of the varsity football team was nominated this year for Marshal, a change from the pattern of previous years.

The Seniors did not present their petition until 7:55 last night, 40 minutes later than the deadline set by Jacobs. The Committee discussed the petition--which obtained only 275 of 500 required signatures--before counting the ballots.

Nine on Ballot

Two candidates tied for eighth place in the voting, and therefore, Thursday's ballot for the four Marshal positions will include nine names. Thomas C. Bagnoli, Christopher T. Bayley, Arthur S. Cahn, W. Clarke Hudson, Joseph K. Hurd, Chit R. Kapur, Langley C. Keyes, Robert S. Lawrence, and James D. Lorenz will appear on the ballot.

Some of the Seniors commented that the Marshal election might be run in the future by the Alumni Secretary.