Crimson Staves Off Bruin Rally, Wins in Ivy Hockey Contest, 6-4

The varsity hockey team coasted into the third period of Saturday night's contest at Providence with a seemingly secure 4-0 lead over Brown. Just 18 minutes and 14 seconds later, the embattled Crimson was fighting desperately to maintain its shaky 6-4 margin, which none too soon became the final score.

Dave Vietze started the Crimson scoring at 13:07 of the first period, when he tallied on assists by Bob Anderson and Dick McLaughlin. During this period, the varsity bombarded Brown goalie Bert Creese with 15 shots, while Harry Pratt had to turn away only six Bruin attempts.

In the second period, the Crimson completely dominated play. Pratt faced just one Bruin shot, as compared to 18 handled by Creese. The first of the period's three Crimson goals came in a at 6:21.

Bud Higginbottom hit for a goal unassisted at 7:45, and Mike Graney bounced a long shot off a Bruin's stick into the nets at 18:56, making the count 4-0 as the teams entered the stormy third period.

At 3:55, Paul Kelley put the varsity ahead 5 to 0, after a scramble in front of the Brown nets. Less than a minute later, Wyn Eaton countered with the Bruins' first tally of the evening. Then, three seconds after interference on Anderson gave them a four-on-three situation, the Bruins scored again as Allen Soares drew Pratt from the crease.

In 26 seconds, Brown's Eaton scored for the second time. Just 18 more seconds had elapsed when Kelley made his second goal of the period for the varsity, and at 18:14 Eaton completed his one-session hat trick. Both defenses tightened and prevented further scoring.