Elis Down Quintet in New Haven; Dartmouth Rally Tops Sextet, 4-2

Downs Leads Yale, 78-65

By Walter L. Goldfrank

Larry Downs recovered from a broken hand in time to carry Yale to a 78-65 victory over the varsity Saturday night at New Haven. Downs led both teams in scoring with 26 points and also pulled down 20 rebounds. The win gave Yale a 2-3 league record, identical with the varsity's.

A rugged forward, Downs tallied on driving lay-ups and converted 12 of 13 free throws, many of them at crucial moments. Junior Dan McFadden added 20 points and 6 ft., 10 in. Gerry Glynn, despite an awkward and generally unimpressive showing, hit for 10.

Elis Control Backboards

After the first minute and a half it was apparent that the Ellis would win, for the home forces were able to consistently foil the varsity's pressing defense and also to control both backboards with ease.

The first half started slowly--and fairly evenly--but at the 12 minute mark Yale's fast break began to click, and two quick baskets by Downs broke an 18-18 deadlock. From that point on, the Elis steadily pulled ahead until they went off the floor with a 35-28 halftime lead.

Marked by the unpleasant fact that the officials saw fit to call 12 personal fouls on the varsity while assessing only one to Yale, the half saw both teams employ man-to-man defenses, the outstanding defensive player being Tom Molumphy, who bottled up George Harrington.

The second half featured that obnoxious march from foul line to foul line that so often ruins basketball. For a brief moment it looked as though the Crimson would come back, but trailing 37 to 32, the varsity stood by and watched as Yale reeled off nine straight points.

Bob Bowditch ended the drought at the 6:20 mark with a pretty three point play, but as in the opening stanza, the Buildogs began to increase their lead until it grew to 17 points with seven minutes left.

McClellan Fouls Out

As the half wore on, both Griff Mc-Clellan and his substitute, Jack Foker, fouled out, McClellan with 12 points. But the 6 ft., 8 in. center was not effective off the boards, and this was the key to Yale's win. The Ellis out-rebounded the varsity, 60 to 32.

Bowditch and Harrington shared scoring Honors with 15 tallies each, and in a brief appearance in the closing minutes, Bill Richiing sank three jump shots. The difference, however, was in rebounding and at the foul line, where Yale outscored the varsity, 28 to 9.