Swimmers Win Last Event, Edge Strong Middie Team

Victory in the final event let the unbeaten varsity swimming team edge previously undefeated Navy, 47 to 39, at the I.A.B. Saturday. With the home team leading by a lone point, the relay team of Koni Ulbrich, brothers Dave and Dick Seaton, and Bruce Hunter won the deciding race, the 400-yard freestyle relay, to gain seven points and secure the victory.

Three members of the Yardling squad broke freshman records, as the team beat the Andover varsity, 58 to 28, in the preliminary meet.

Sophomore ace Hunter was the varsity's high scorer, taking both the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyles. His fast final leg in the free-style relay insured the Crimson victory.

Varsity Starts Fast

The varsity swimmers started fast by winning five of the first seven events, but the lack of depth on the team prevented the Crimson from taking a commanding lead. With second and third-place finishes in the opening events, the Middies stayed close. Navy swimmers took first place in each of the final individual events the 440 freestyle and the 200-yard breaststroke, and narrowed the margin to 39-40 before the climactic final relay.

Bill Murray, Jim Stanley, Captain John Hammond, and Dick Seaton won the 400-yard medley relay and Chip Montgomery's victory in diving added five points to the Crimson's total.

Navy Rallies

With Hunter's win in the 100-yard sprint and mueray's triumph in the 200-yard baokstroke the varsity pulled away from the visitors. But the Middies rallied back with a first and a second in the 440-yard freestyle and an Academy record-breaking performance in the 200-yard breastroke by Diek Taft. However, victory in the freestyle relay clinched the meet for the Crimson, their third straight win of the season.

Record breakers in the freshman romp were Fred Elizalde who swam the 100-yard butterfly in 57.7 sec., freestyler Harry Southall, who swam 200 yards in 2:01.3, and Captain Bob Kaufmann, who did the 100-yard backstroke in 51.7 sec.