Council Decides Against Studying Typing of Exams

By Mark H. Alcott

The Student Council decided last night not to investigate the possibility of typed examinations, on the grounds that "very few students are concerned with the problem"

At the same time, Council representatives were authorized to conduct an "informal poll" to insure that student demand for typing on exams had not been underestimated.

Edward B. Segal '60 advised the Council not to study the question, since preliminary investigation showed that "present need and demand do not justify the expense and difficulties such a change would entail."

Similar sentiments were expressed by Abraham Lowenthal '61, who claimed that the members of Lowell House felt that "someone is inventing an issue" that does not exist.

The Council also voted last night to initiate a long range study of admission policy. The report would delineate present policy and examine Faculty opinion of it.

Presenting the recommendation for this study, David M. Balabanian '60 commented that it would deal with "the whole question of what Harvard is about" in terms of the type of student it seeks.

The Council agreed unanimously to set up a permanent committee to continue checking student opinion on meals and "to continue good Council relations with the dining halls department."

A plan to invite prominent speakers to the College also won Council approval. Following a suggestion by the Executive Committee, a special committee will be setup to investigate the possibility of inviting outsde speakers to appear before the student body.