Terriers Edge Sextet In Third Period, 3-2; Marquis Scores Two

By John R. Adler

Two third period goals by the brilliant Bob Marquis upset the Crimson's finest effort since the Clarkson-St. Lawrence trip, as Boston University edged the Varsity, 3 to 2, at Watson Rink last night.

The clincher, at 18:09, came on a dazzling speed skating exhibition by the all American junior from Quebec, as he took a pass at the Crimson blue line, turned the defense, and skated in alone on Harry Pratt, who had little chance. Pratt had performed superbly, stopping Marquis from point-blank range just five minutes earlier.

Every goal but one was scored when the teams were at full strength, and on a carefully set up play, not a defensive mistake. Play was rugged--vicious during the initial two periods--and the passing and play making was accurate and crisp, except for a slight let-down on the varsity's part during the final stanza.

So Spirited was the checking--and slashing--that 17 penalties were called during the night, and several other infractions were overlooked by the referees, whose calls were quite fair. Bob Anderson was nabbed three times, but turned in a great job at defense, as did Dick Mc- Lauglin, Mike Graney and Greg Downes.

More of a "grudge" team than any of the traditional Harvard rivals, B.U. quickly started swinging sticks and checking extra hard. Marquis was flagged down for high sticking at 3:59 and Andy Guiliotti kept the bench warm by slashing at 7:11. Dave Vietze nearly scored the first goal during the latter penalty when his long slap shot at goalie Ron Tanner's head was blocked in self defense and nearly juggled in.

Stu Forbes made sure on his second rebound at 12:15 after Dick Reilly carried the puck into the zone and shot from the right alley. Forbes' first rebound was just stopped by Tanner, but Crocker Snow fed back to the right wing for the goal.

Three men were whistled down for infractions within 50 seconds as play grew vicious at the 15-minute mark. Sandwiching penalties to Anderson and Dick Fischer was a call on Bill McCormack, who was neatly provoked to check in the offensive zone.

Then at 18:43, as the Crimson was changing lines, Fischer belted Les Duncan's rebound into the right corner from eight feet. The varsity skated off to a standing ovation from the near-capacity crowd.

Three Penalties in 50 Seconds

After ten minutes of continuous play at the start of the second period, three men were again called for penalties within 50 seconds. Breaking away from his own blue line after Anderson was detected holding, Vietze forced an interference penalty to stop a solo dash on Tanner, then lured a leg-check infraction from Marquis. Nothing came of the advantage, however, as Larry Creighton, brother of N.H.L. star Dave, killed time beautifully.

The Terrier's first goal came at 18:37, when defenseman Russ McCurdy grabbed a faceoff deep in Crimson ice.

Pratt and his four defensemen made some magnificent plays before bowling to Marquis' classically executed goal to 11:20 of the third period. Marquis stationed himself a foot outside the crease and found an opening after Pratt made two great saves after a shot by Pat Enright. The Crimson was a man down at the time, as Greg Downes saved a goal by hooking John Dooley