Divinity School Dean Will Retire in Summer

Douglas Horton, Dean of the Divinity School, will retire this summer, President Pusey announced yesterday, and his successor will be Samuel H. Miller, professor of Pastoral Theology. The retiring Dean guided the Divinity School through four of its most erucial years.

Under Horton's "quiet and imaginative leadership," Pusey said, "the Divinity School has experienced a rebirth." Appointed in 1955, Horton had been a leader in the world ecumenical movement, and Minister of the General Council of Congregational Christian Churches. His appointment was part of an effort to promote a more ecumenical outlook at the Divinity School and study of varying streams of religious thought.

Since 1955 many scholars, including members of the Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic faiths, have joined the School. The School's present faculty, Pusey said, is "splendidly representative of twentieth century Protestantism and contemporary theology."

In other changes during the past four years, the School has developed new programs, including one in religion and psychology, and has increased its enrollment from 141 to 242 students. The $5 million Divinity School Fund helped promote the expansion.

New Dean "Eminently Qualified"

Miller, the new Dean, has been minister of the Old Cambridge Baptist Church since 1933. Appointed as lecturer on Pastoral Theology in 1953, he became a full professor in 1958, and has written on problems in religion and science. Considering the Divinity School's future, Pusey characterized Miller as "eminently qualified to lead in consolidating our gains and establishing a firm educational pattern."