Study Asks Revisions In Student Tutorial, Faculty Relations

The Student Council, in its most active session this Term, last night approved with minor changes the report of the Committee on Houses.

Stressing the "over-all success" of the House System, the report recommended several revisions in existing procedure. It called for "a systematic attack" on the problem of informal student-faculty contact.

Increased tutor participation in House activities, universal sophomore tutorial within the House, and the selection of a House co-ordinator for the difficult first meeting were cited as the weapons for such an attack.

Masters Approve Report

Several Masters attended last night's meeting and expressed wholehearted approval of the report. Council members also reacted favorably to the study.

The report emphasized the Committee's concern for individualism. "Complete freedom with additional opportunity for those who can benefit by it is the whole theme of our discussion of student-faculty relationships," the Committee stated.

Committee Chairman Tom L. Freudenheim '59, reiterated this feeling by pointing out that the first meeting co-ordinator would merely provide the opportunity for such contact. He said that "coercion of any sort is against the Committee's wish.

The influence of the Master, which stems from his selection of House members as well as his guidance in all phases of House life, was approved by the Committee. "Our approval is a vote of confidence in Harvard's system," the report claimed.