One Less Leader

Chancellor Konrad Adenauer's decision to run for the Presidency of West Germany has added one more worry to the West's preparations for negotiations on Berlin. Now that Adenauer has decided not to succeed himself, and Dulles' illness has diminished his political influence, Western policy is left without the certainty of firm and vigorous leadership. Both Dulles and Adenauer will have an influence on negotiations, to be sure, but the decisions as to how the West should make its case, what it should demand and where it should yield, have not been made as yet. It is clear that leadership must come from somewhere, and these two personalities will not have the force they have had in the past.

But the anxiety over the loss of these two statesmen may prove valuable if it succeeds in bringing out the diplomatic leadership potential in the West. Dulles and Adenauer-not to mention Chiang Kai-shek and DeGaulle-can not be expected to stay around forever. Already the British press is rejoicing over the removal of one source of opposition to Macmillan's policies, and it is probable that a general "softening up" of diplomatic tactics will occur, whether or not the West's basic position remains inflexible.

This crumbling of the Old Order of statesmen may be the best thing that has happened to Western-Soviet relations in a long time. Certainly the ideals of a Dulles or an Adenauer should not and, hopefully, will not be sacrificed in an Era of Compromise-if such is forthcoming. If there are Western leaders who can parry and thrust with the best of the Communists then now is certainly the time for them to appear.

Unfortunately, Acting Secretary Herter has been unable or unwilling to exercise this kind of leadership and efforts to "coordinate allied views" at the recent North Atlantic Treaty Organization meeting proved a poor substitute for personal leadership. President Eisenhower should either exhibit this kind of leadership himself, or surrender the policy-making reins to Macmillan-the only Western statesman who has shown initiative during the Berlin crisis.