'62 Track Team Tops Yale

While the varsity was having its troubles, the Yardling track team defeated a flashy but thin Yale squad, 76 to 64, last Saturday at New Haven. Mark Mullin broke his own freshman record with a 4:16.1 performance in the mile, and he also took the two-mile after a stretch battle with teammate Tony Field.

Mullin started out in the mile as if he were going for a four-minute effort, passing the 440 mark in 60.0 and hitting the 880 in 2:04. His time at the half, in fact, was a full eight seconds better than Dyke Benjamin's fatally slow pace in the varsity race. Mullin tired toward the end, but he held on for the record.

Yardling Ted Bailey established a meet mark with his 169 ft., 3 1/2 in heave in the hammer throw. Marty Beckwith won two events for the Crimson, tying the meet record in the high jump with a 6 ft., 1 5/8 in effort and taking the broad jump with a leap of 21 ft., 3 1/2 in.

The other Yardling first-place finishers were Tom Corbin in the javelin, Jack Shipman in the 100, and the mile relay quartet.