Program Contributions Pass $61 Million Mark

Rockefeller Donation Leads Gifts in Size

By Mary ELLEN Gale

Donations to the Program for Harvard College totaled $61,078,424 at the end of April, representing an increase of $3 million over the March 1 amount, President Pusey disclosed yesterday. Adding $1 million to a previous gift. David Rockefeller '36 became the largest individual contributor.

Rockefeller's donation and other increased gifts from men who had contributed earlier equaled more than 75 per cent of the money received in the last two months. The Program is striving to solicit another $21.5 million by Commencement.

H. Irving Pratt '26, General Chairman of the drive, recently stressed that the June goal of $82.5 million is "the minimum--the basic sum needed to strengthen the College. All non-essentials were eliminated before the Program was ever announced," he asserted.

Among the three groups expected to provide the additional amount, only national alumni are within sight of their goal, having collected over 98 per cent of the $12 million quota. Philip H. Theopold '25, chairman of the group, has urged all alumni who have not yet contributed to make their gifts before Commencement.

Advance gifts and miscellaneous donations, originally expected to provide most of the Program money, are short of the proposed goals. Only 71.9 percent of the $50 million quota has been supplied by advance gifts. Miscellaneous contributions, with a goal of $20.5 million, have reached only 65.2 per cent of the total.

Over half of the donations have been designated for specific purposes within the University. Several professorships, scholarships, and public rooms will be named for Program contributions.