MacLeish Merits Pulitzer Prize For Broadway Production 'J.B.'; Truman Not to Visit White House

By The ASSOCIATED Press

NEW YORK, May 4--Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, won the 1959 Pulitzer Prize for drama today with his first play, "J.B.," a modern rendition of the Biblical story of Job.

Last month the work won the American Theater Wing's "Tony" award as the year's best play. MacLeish, former librarian of Congress, won Pulitzer prizes for poetry in 1933 and 1953.

Truman Avoids White House

WASHINGTON, May 4--Harry S. Truman won't visit the White House he once occupied--even to meet his old friend Sir Winston Churchill.

The White House disclosed today that Truman, who has not been on friendly terms with President Eisenhower since the 1952 campaign, sent his regrets when invited to attend a stag dinner Wednesday night in honor of the former British Prime Minister. Truman confirmed the story.

"I'm sorry--I was already tied up," the ex-President told newsmen, with a somewhat tongue-in-cheek air.

Asked if he meant that he couldn't go, or just didn't want to go. Truman replied laughingly: "I said I couldn't go. You can put any interpretation that you like on that--as you always do."

Investigator Hits "Bugging'

WASHINGTON, May 4--Former House investigator Baron I. Shacklette said today an attempt was made to "bug" his hotel room the same week last summer that he was eavesdropping by hidden microphone on Bernard Goldfine.

Shacklette testified at a court hearing on motions to throw out contempt of Congress charges against Goldfine.

Florida Grand Jury Convenes

TALLAHASSEE, Fla., May 4--The county grand jury will go into special session Wednesday to consider the case of four white men charged with raping a Negro coed.

Hundreds of Negro students at Florida A & M University boycotted classes as part of a passive demonstration.

Sheriff Bill Joyce announced admissions had been obtained from all four men in the case.