Smithies Visit Winthrop to Display Athletic Prowess

Eight Smithies trooped to Cambridge yesterday to prove that talks of merger with Radcliffe are "just pure bunk." Here to prove their boating prowess, the oaresses, dividing their favors between two groups of four Winthrop men, raced on the Charles. "Athletic integration," not academic, proved the keynote of the "Togetherness Cup" contest.

Their opponents, the Winthrop House Boating Club, admitted no fear before the race, although one "Winnie" commented, "That's a powerful lot of girls!" But, once the girls split up and the race started, the smooth stroking of the Smith-coxed shell brought it victory by at least a length.

The victorious oarers and oaresses modestly disclaimed all aspirations of racing at Henley this summer. In fact, one more modest member of the winning boat admitted a slight foul during the course of the contest.

"While we were straining for victory, just close to the finish, a girl in the other boat lost her footing. I mean, her feet slipped out of her stirrups, or whatever you call those things, and she caught a crab. We won, just because of that."

Smithies Play Innocent

The Smithies played innocent before the contest, saying they had "little experience in such affairs." However, before the climactic race started, the eight Western Massachusetts inhabitants took out a shell--despite loud fears voiced by the cox (or is it coxess?) that the boat could not possibly fit between the piers of the bridge.

"It's leaking," one of the girls shrieked during the practice, but her fears were soon assuaged. And when the combined race itself came--well, it proved the old adage that men are nothing without women--and vice-versa.