Wadsworth Will Start For Nine Against Elis

Crimson Varsity Heavily Favored to Win Traditional Baseball Game at Soldiers Field

By John P. Demos

The varsity baseball team will tackle Yale at Soldiers Field this afternoon, amid all the pomp and circumstance that traditionally surrounds this alumnidominated affair. Game time is 3:15, but a variety of parades and other preliminary festivities will begin more than an hour beforehand.

If the game goes according to form, the alumni will provide considerably more color than the baseball; for the Elis are a very weak outfit and they should not give the Crimson a great deal of trouble.

Three weeks ago, the varsity defeated this same Yale team by a score of 5 to 3, in a notably unexciting contest. Actually the winners were considerably off their best form on this particular day, but still they managed to stay in control most of the way.

Ed Wadsworth, the best man on coach Shepard's very capable mound staff, will probably get the starting assignment today. Wadsworth also started the earlier Eli game, and was not up to his usual standard of effectiveness. However, his overall performance this season has clearly established his excellence as a pitcher (his won-lost record is 4-2, his earned run average around 2.00) and it will be surprising if he does not improve on that previous Yale outing.

Good Relief Pitching

In case Wadsworth should run into difficulty, Shepard can call upon either Wally Cook or Byron Johnson, two pitchers who have both done very well during the latter part of the season. Cook, indeed, saved the first Yale game with a fine fourinning relief job.

While the Crimson pitching has looked better and better as the spring has progressed, the team's hitting--though basically sound--has tailed off somewhat in its last few games. This is likely due, in part, to the bad slump that has recently overtaken third baseman Chet Boulris.

Boulris Started Fast

Boulris' heavy hitting carried the whole team at times during its first 20 games; but since then it has been discovered that a slow curve-ball does not at all agree with his batting style. Still, Boulris is such a naturally-gifted batter that he undoubtedly can overcome this weakness with a little practice.

If Boulris is back on the beam again this afternoon, the varsity may give Yale's rather undistinguished pitching staff a rough time. The Eli hurlers who were on display here three weeks ago showed a lot of windup but very little in the way of dazzling pitching.