Senate Gets Bowie Report

A group of University experts told the Senate Foreign relations Committee last week that "it would be risky to base American policy on the assumption that Soviet totalitarianism is about to erode" under the rising standard of Russian living.

In an 82-page report entitled "Ideology and Foreign Affairs" a committee headed by Robert R. Bowie, director of the Center for International Affairs, advised a broader approach toward economic aid to under-developed areas and a much greater emphasis on cultural exchange programs with Iron Curtain countries.

The report, prepared under the auspices of the Center for International Affairs, was made public Saturday by Senator J. William Fulbright (D.-Ark.), chairman of the Senate committee. He praised it but said that it did not necessarily reflect committee views.

In a section on Latin America, the committee noted that upper class domination in this area "is now seriously threatened." A fast growing middle class is "increasingly rebellious against the upper class, traditionally a tightly-knit oligarchy of large landowners, big merchants, capitalists, and high ranking officers of the ecclesiastical and military hierarchies."