Football Team Whips Columbia, 8-7, In Wacky, Error-Filled Contest

Vasell Sets Record

By Michael S. Lottman

NEW YORK--Harvard's hopes for a winning season and a shot at the Ivy title got a last-minute reprieve Saturday at Baker Field, as the Crimson defeated Columbia 8 to 7, in one of the most exciting and worst-played games in recent memory.

Twelve fumbles (eight by the Crimson), five pass interceptions, and an 11-yard punt by Columbia's Don Savini characterized a game that also saw Lion quarterback Tom Vasell set an Ivy League record with 16 completed passes. Bad calls by quarterbacks on both teams merely added to the confusion. The 21,889 fans at Baker Field enjoyed it thoroughly.

Coach John Yovicsin produced some new heroes, although they were hardly of the classic mold. After some frantic first-half switching of signal-callers, Yovicsin settled on junior Ted Halaby. Halaby contributed a goal-line fumble at a key point in the third quarter, but he did move the team well and ran for 25 yards in seven carries.

Center Dave Nyhan came close to winning the press box's vote as lineman of the game. Nyhan was a bear rushing passers and punters; he nearly blocked

Russ Warres kick from the Columbia in the third period, and smashed as he faded back with first and 10 the Harvard 16 in the fourth quarter, but there was after a mysterious hole the center of the Crimson's pass where one would have thought should be.

With five minutes to play, fullback Jim rammed over tackle for the Crimson's touchdown, making the soore Columbia 7, Harvard 6. With everything on the next play, Nelson again hit tackle spot for the extra points. He through the line, but ran into a solid all of three Columbia secondary defenders and just barely made it to the goal . Tom Haggerty, one of the three up. Nelson's way, took a long time up. Nelson would qualify as a hero if he hadn't looked bad on pass defense. He, like the others, is sort of hero, junior grade.

The game was divided into halves, even more than usual. In the first quarter, completed four of five passes for yards. With Vasell taking well and fine protection, matters continued this vein in the second quarter.

Finally, Savini ignited the Columbia drive with a snaky 37-yard punt return that took the ball to the Harvard . Savini shook about half the Crimson by just standing still when he thought the ball and letting them speed by either side.

Vasell personally executed seven of the next eight plays. He passed for a total of 37 yards and ran for three, and completed a seven-yard pitch to Ron Williams for the touchdown at 5:59.

According to the players, all Yovicsin said at halftime was, "I've told you all can. Now it's up to you." But his was understandable; after all, he had experienced a visitation. It told him to go with Halaby, but didn't give my reasons.

And the second half was almost all Harvard. A Crimson drive bogged on the Columbia one in the third quarter, when Armstrong hit left guard for gain, Repsher went straight up the middle for no gain, and Halaby tumbled to end the agony.

In the fourth period the big break came. With all his receivers covered, Vasell threw the ball in the general direction of the Crimson goal. Varsity guard Terry Lenkner made a leaping, bobbling interception, and a 39-yard drive touchdown began, conducted entirely on the ground.

Vasell tried to pass the Lions back into the game, and he nearly did it. But with third and five on the Harvard 11 and Savini warming up his kicking too and Lion coach Buff Donelli holding a tee. Vasell called a pass. End Dave Hudepohl smashed through the weakening Columbia line and hurried Vasell, who tossed the ball to the Crimson's Tom Boone on the five. That was it.A Columbia end eludes a Crimson defender and snares one of Vasell's passes.