Soccer Team Faces Brown

By Michael S. Lottman

Unless coach Bruce Munro has done a good "psych job" on the varsity soccer team, today's contest with Brown could be a dismal affair. The Bruins, after gaining their first win of the season last Saturday against Cornell, would like nothing better than to add the Crimson to its small list of victims. Game time is 11 a.m. on the Business School Field.

The varsity's 1-0 loss to Princeton a week ago removed it (and everybody else but the Tigers) from contention in the Ivy League race, and the squad has little to look forward to except the Yale game. A postponement of Thursday's scheduled match with B.U. deprived the varsity of a chance to recover the feel of winning.

But, in recent years, the varsity has wanted to win this game nearly as much as Brown. Last fall, the Crimson whipped the Bruins, 3 to 1, in a bruising battle in which both teams played hard from start to finish.

Crimson May Finish Second

In addition, the varsity will have the small but noticeable incentive of securing second place in the League.

Brown's one-game resurgence was led by center forward Armando Garoes, who tied with the varsity's Tadhg Sweeney last season for the League lead in goalie-trampling. Garces, back in action after a long layoff, tallied three times as the Bruins defeated Cornell, 4 to 1.

Bruin netminder Denny Master will be another obstacle in the path of Crimson success. Master was barely edged out for all-Ivy honors last fall by the Crimson's Tom Bagnoli. He filled in very capably at inside for a few games this year, but the return of Garces will probably allow coach Cliff Stevenson to keep him in the goal. Master made 36 saves against the Big Red, an incredible total.

Munro to Have Usual Starters

Munro will go with his usual starters, except in the goal, where sophomore John Adams may get the call. Tim Morgan and Bandy Cortesl will open at fullback, and Bill King, Peter Savage, and captain Bill Driver will be at halfback.

The Crimson line will have Dick McIntosh and Mike Kramer at wing, Tadhg Sweeney and Teddy Wendell at inside, and Seamus Malln at center forward.

The Harvard-Brown freshman contest, originally scheduled for this morning, was played yesterday in Providence. The unbeaten Yardlings banded the baby Bruins their first loss of the year, 6 to 1, as center forward Chris O'Hiri scored five goals.

Fullbacks Lou Williams and Nat Emmons and goalie Wally Whitney did a fine job in holding Brown's heralded Alan Young scoreless, and Bill Ward played a solid game at center half. Wing John Thorndike, in his second game since recovering from a broken leg, notched the Crimson's other tally