Bundy Applauds New N.Y. Plan For Schools

Dean Bundy yesterday called the program to revamp higher education in New York State "heartening" and said it contained "most constructive thinking" about college problems.

The plan, proposed by a commission headed by Henry T. Heald, president of the Ford Foundation, asked state support for both public and private colleges and sought the establishment of a new state university system "worthy of the people of New York."

Bundy praised the program "because it considers public and private education together." He added that Massachusetts might benefit from increased attention to public colleges and universities, and cited figures showing that the Bay State has one of the highest per capita expenditures on private higher education in the country and one of the lowest on public schooling.

"It is a good idea to have the administrative arrangements improved," Francis Keppel '38, Dean of the Graduate School of Education, said of the commission's determination to streamline the state University system. He compared the New York State University to a holding company, pointing out that it had "no campus of its own" and "no central focus."

Keppel was "clearly in agreement" with the committee's plan to change teachers' colleges in New York to "general purpose," or liberal arts, institutions. He was wary of state aid to private sectarian schools, however, saying, "The proposal in this regard is a difficult one."