Soccer Team to Face Elis

By Michael S. Lottman

The Ivy League title is gone, but the varsity soccer team can still salvage a certain amount of satisfaction from the 1960 season with a victory over Yale today. Game time for the battle between the two old rivals is 1:30 p.m. on the Business School Field.

Naturally, it is always pleasant to defeat Yale, no matter what the circumstances. But there are two additional enticements that would make a Crimson win today more profitable than usual. Second place in the Ivy League will go to the victor, and there is still the possibility that the winner may get an at-large berth in the NCAA tournament.

Princeton has already won the Ivy crown with a 6-1 record. The Bulldogs, with a 4-1-1 slate, are currently in second place, half a game ahead of the Crimson (4-2). Thus, the varsity can move into second with a triumph. A defeat would leave the Crimson tied for third with Dartmouth, the team that started all the trouble for coach Bruce Munro's eleven by surprising the varsity, 5 to 3, in mid-season.

The New England spot in the national collegiate championships has gone to the University of Connecticut, which ran up a 9-2 record. A victory today would give the Crimson an 8-2 mark, and put the varsity in contention with Bridgeport and Amherst for the at-large position. A black mark against Bridgeport was its loss to Yale, 2 to 1.

Improved Ells

Inside Johnny Pearce paces a Bulldog eleven that has improved vastly since its 1-0 loss to Dartmouth and 2-2 tie with Cornell. The Ells upset Princeton last week, 2 to 0, on goals by Pearce and wing Mal Power, Fullbacks Rufus Day and Pete Pochna held the high-scoring Tiger line at bay, and Art Trotman, George Seeley, and Phil Meyer outplayed Princeton's all-star halfback line.

Munro will probably start Mike Kramer and Dick McIntosh at wing, Sweeney and Teddy Wendell at inside, and Seamus Malin at center, with Bill King, Peter Savage, and captain Bill Driver at half-back, Tim Morgan and Sandy Cortesi at fullback, and either John Adams or Bob Forbush in the goal. John Jeppson, a full-back who showed surprising promise in the 4-0 win over B.U. Tuesday, may see considerable action.

The seniors on the squad--McIntosh, Sweeney, King, Savage, Driver, Morgan, and Forbush among the starters--would like nothing better than to register their third consecutive win against the Bulldogs. And an NCAA bid would be a real vindication for the team nobody thought would go anywhere