High-Scoring, Undefeated B.C. Quintet Varsity Basketball Team to Encounter

Fast-Breaking Eagles May Outrun Varsity

By Michael S. Lottman

One hopes the varsity basketball team knows what it's in for tonight at Roberts Center. Coach Floyd Wilson's five will face one of the East's really powerful outfits, the Eagles of Boston College, and the results could be discouraging, to say the least.

The fast-breaking B.C. quintet has tallied 210 points in its last two games, had has yet to loss in four starts. In its two most recent outings, B.C. bombed Dartmouth, 100 to 66, and then outgunned Connectiout in a 110-96 shooting match.

This kind of scoring is unheard of in New England. The Eagles pile up such outlandish totals by simply running their opponents into the ground, and by shooting with fantastic accuracy.

Bill Donovan often leads the down-the-court charge, and besides, he is an unerring shot. Forward Jim Hooley is another high scorer, but the top point-maker this year has been sophomore Jerry Ward, who has been averaging 20 markers per game.

Frank Quinn, the Eagles' 6 ft., 6 1/2 in. center, has impoved vastly since last season, and should give the B.C. squad control of the boards. Chuck Chevalier, who pairs with Donovan at guard, doesn't score much, but he is a flashy dribbler and deft play-maker.

Other B.C. mainstays are Bill Foley, cousin of Holy Cross's Jack the Shot, and sophomore Jim Carr. The Eagles, for the first time in quite a while, have depth to go with high-quality front-time performance.

In the Connecticut romp, nearly everybody got into the scoring act. Donovan paced the Eagles with 28, followed by Hooley with 25, Ward with 18, Foley with 10, and Quinn with nine. In contract, no Crimson performer has yet reached the 20-point mark this season.

Bowditch Biggest Asset

The varsity's biggest asset these days is its captain, guard Bob Bowditch. Bowditch tallied 14 points against M.I.T. Saturday on long jump shots and driving lay-ups, and now has 48 in four games, a 12-point average. Even though he ranks second among Crimson scorers, Bowditch is perhaps more valuable for his defensive contributions.

Bowditch blocked several shots at key points against the Engineers, many of them launched by opponents taller than he, and his ball-hawking produced quite a few easy Crimson baskets.

Gary Borchard has been troubled by fouls this year, and has had to sit out many minutes of playing times. Even so, he leads the team with 55 points in four games, a 14.0 pace. The 6 ft., 4 in forward has become a tough rebounder this winter, and has helped remedy what might have been a touchy situation under the boards.

Deering 'Cool'

The Crimson's own "cool customer," guard Joe Deering, has been a steadying influence in times of panic, and has racked up 47 points in four games, mostly on accurate jump shots.

Others who will see action for the Crimson include Bill Danner, Pete Kelley, Denny Lynch, and Vern Strand.

Harvard's strategy will probably be to slow down the full-speed-ahead B.C. attack, since the Crimson cannot possibly keep up with the Eagles. A Crimson victory would be an upset of major proportions, but it is not entirely inconceivable.