Christmas Season in Boston

December in Boston--Santa Clauses outnumber policemen, and Santa Claus sees nearly every citizen.

Filene's alone employs at least 10 Santa Clauses, some to display toys in the window, some to open their laps to expectant children. The Santa Claus in the window delivers readings from something called "The Good Book," which presumably contains the names of every child in Boston (or at least all those fortunate enough to press their noses against Filene's front window-pane.)

The text of the "Good Book" is a series of eager letters from those who believe. Each of the letters asks for specific gifts, and one of the most popular choices this year is something called "The Cape Canaveral Set."

Anyone who thinks that the Santa Claus trade is seasonal has just not kept up with the most recent technological developments in the world of Yuletide Joy. At least one of Filene's Santas is employed full-time, pursuing his occupation in Canada during the summer months.

Nor do Filene's window-Santas have to worry about working full-time. Every 45 minutes they are spelled by one of two cute little sprigs, both called Miss Holly. Four more Miss Hollys aid Santa inside the store where he carries through his policy of person-to-person diplomacy. On each of the visitors, Miss Holly pins a rectangular piece of cardboard: "Santa's Merit Badge."

On the street, near Filene's, neon Christmas lights blink on and off, radios, record players, jukeboxes sound seasonal music--from "Santa Baby" and "The Yuletide Olde Lang Syne," to "White Christmas" to "Silent Night." Nearby, on the Common, some elm trees pretend they are pine. They have been used to offset a large, carousel-like decoration which projects a variety of colors each night.

At least once before Christmas the Salvation Army travels on a bus to the Long Island Hospital, about 40 miles outside of Boston. The hospital is an aging parched place; many of its patients appear no younger. Unable to pay for expensive presents, the Salvation Army distributes baskets of fruit (they gave out 1,000 apples last Saturday) and items which the patients may need in their daily lives.