Aron Criticizes de Gaulle, FLN For Algerian Political Stalemate

Scores 'Transfer of Ambiguity'

By John R. Adler

Raymond Aron yesterday drew a picture of the political realities which for six years have stalemated the in Algeria.

An associate of General de Gaulle in and editor of La France Libre the war, Aron appraised the efforts of the President of the Fifth Republic since June, 1958 as "a transfer of ambiguity." De Gaulle's offer of "The of the Brave" was merely a of the policy of the French since Mollet, Aron said. It provided for a referendum among association, federation, and independence to cease-fire and a cooling-off period.

"Of course the FLN (National Liberation Front) will not cease fire without securing the conditions of self-determination," Aron told a Sever Hall . He pointed out that de Gaulle's proposal for "self-determination" was "just a better word for election." An election held under the French army will not be free, Aron asserted, "but if the French army goes away, the FLN comes in, and it will not be free either."

Aron, a visiting research professor of Government, discounted suggestions that the UN could supervise an election in Algeria. "As events in the Congo have shown, the UN army is not a fighting army, and it could not protect against the FLN."

States Political Difference

Noted for his commentary on the problem of disarmament in the face of fear, Aron stated the basic political difference over Algeria this way: "De Gaulle's point is that he cannot negotiate with the FLN as the free Algerian government, for that would recognize Algerian independence. But the FLN cannot stop fighting, because that is their trump card."

When de Gaulle came to power, Aron said, "he was a representative of everything to everybody." His real view today is that he is reconciled with the idea of a new Algerian state, Aron maintained. "And he is far too clever to believe that he can build a new Algeria without the nationalists who fought for it."

States Political Difference

States Political Difference

States Political Difference