ISRAEL AND 20TH CENTURY

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We are more than willing to offer a complete explanation for the absence of an Israeli on the evening panels during 20th Century Week. The Program sub-committee devoted better than four months to the selection of invitees. They consulted at length with faculty members acquainted with the four topic areas: Latin America, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Africa. The choices made for the Middle East were made with the advice and assistance of staff members at the Center for Middle Eastern Studies. The general criterion used in making the selections for the panels was the extent to which the individual chosen would represent the largest possible regional cross-section. While Israel is certainly an important nation, and deserving of representation on any panel dealing with the problems of the Middle East per se, the fact is the panels deal with a single large issue (economic development, foreign policy, or national and regional aspirations) and the inter-regional ramifications of the question. Since only three panelists could be invited from each area, the three chosen had to be representative of the major population and interest groups. Finally, it was always the intention of the Committee to direct panel discussion toward common goals, attitudes, and problems rather than toward particular conflicts. These considerations prompted the Committee to make the decision that it did.

We did feel that Israeli's deserved a fair hearing at the conference. To this end, we have scheduled two seminar sessions which will be led by Israelis. It is important to emphasize that the scope and value of 20th Century Week depend, not upon the presentation of regional rivalries, but upon the examination of the problems faced in common by the nations of an area. We sincerely hope that everyone attending will share that realization. Roger Leed '61,   General Chairman.   Richard Crystal '62,   Program Chairman.