College Officials Compare Harvard, Sarah Lawrence

By Stephen F. Jencks

Sarah Lawrence, as a small, relatively isolated liberal arts college, still has a freedom to control its educational philosophy and program which Yale and Harvard have lost, speeches at a Yale-Sarah Lawrence conference on the Freshman year suggested.

The conference, held at Sarah Lawrence, was organized, sponsored, and attened by Yale and Sarah Lawrence students, and by members of the Harvard, and Sarah Lawrence faculties. It featured speeches by Dean Monro, Paul S. president of Sarah Lawrence, and Robert Whiteman, Dean of Freshmen Tale.

Growing toward maturity rather than amassing information is the aim of Sarah Lawrence, Ward said. He explained how a pholosophy of education related to interests and abilities had shaped the college's program of self-government of individual instruction.

The non-competitive structure of Sarah Lawrence is impossible at Harvard, replied. Students are competing to get into graduate schools, will compete then they are in, and Faculty and graduate students around them make competition part of their intellectual lives.

The real problem of the College, he said, is teaching students to recognize make decisions, but for freshmen there are very different demands. "The new first runs into a Faculty which tries to move him up to a professional standard of work. He has to be able to read and write and he doesn't know how to do either. And he learns that there is no end to work, the really good questions don't have any answers at all."

In an earlier speech, Whiteman explained the Freshman dilemma: "There is halfway stage between the student who leaves high school and the mature scholar." Monro later made clear that Harvard assumes students will go on to graduate school; but the growing similarity of colleges to prep schools did not seem disturb conference participants.

Whiteman said that Yale based its teaching methods on the expediency of individual situations rather than a cover-all philosophy, citing difficulties with the faculty as one reason. But Monro pointed out that through experiments like Freshman Seminars Harvard is seeking to meet the challenge of abler Freshmen.