Redmayne Will Take Spofford's Command Of NROTC Unit

Capt. Richard T.Spofford, professor of Naval Science, will retire this month after 30 years of service in the Navy. He will leave his command of the College NROTC unit to work for a private corporation in New Jersey.

Capt. Spofford's post at the University will be taken over by Capt. Richard B. Redmayne at a change-of-command ceremony on Feb. 29. Capt. Redmayne has a distinguished war record and was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart.

Upon being commissioned in 1941, he served as engineering officer aboard the USS Hurlburt until February 1945.

After several sea appointments, Redmayne was selected to attend the Armed Forces Staff College at Norfolk, Va., in 1953. He remained on the staff as deputy secretary, and later secretary, after completing the course.

His next command at sea was the destroyer USS Eaton on which he served from 1956 to 1958. In 1958 he was made commanding officer of the Military Sea Transportation Service office in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where he is currently stationed.