Poetry Reading Features Starbuck; Two Concerts Planned Next Week

A noted poet and six musicians will perform during the coming week. George Starbuck, the 1960 Yale Younger Poet, will read from his poems tomorrow afternoon at 4:30 p.m. in the Lamont Forum Room. Starbuck's reading will be the second in a series inaugurated last week. After this reading, which is free and open to the public, the poet will welcome questions and discussion.

Starbuck's first book, Bone Thoughts, was published earlier this year and is the current volume in the Yale Series of Younger Poets. His poetry has been characterized by Dudley Fitts as "an intense and shaking kind of poetry, an art whose dissonances and wry dartings reflect a man awake in the nightmare of our day." His poetry has appeared in the New Yorker, Harper's, Audience, Paris Review, Saturday Review, and other periodicals.

Before and after the reading there will be musical interludes featuring recorded music of Mozart and Haydn.

Concerts in Sanders

On Wednesday, a concert will be given by Shirley Suddock, soprano, Rowland Sturges, plano, Mary Fraley Johnson, violoncello, and Howard Brown, flute. The program includes lieder by Franz Schubert and Hugo Wolf; Fetes Glantes, set I, of Debussy and Chanson Madecasses by Maurice Ravel.

Next Thursday, Aug. 4, Oscar Brand and Joan Baez will present a program of folksongs. Miss Baez' work was recently cited by Time magazine; Brand has been called "fresh, pert, earthy and alive."

Both concerts are in Sanders Theatre at 8:30 p.m. and are open to the public without charge. At an earlier concert this week, the Varity Hartounian Jazz Octet performed before a capacity crowd.