Crimson Lightweights Win Cup at Henley For Third Year

Breaking the cup record enroute, the Harvard lightweight crew won the famed Thames Challenge Cup Saturday at the annual Henley Regatta, following four days of strenuous competition. The regatta, held on the Thames about 40 miles from London, is often regarded as the World Series of rowing.

In winning for the third consecutive year, the crew defeated the highly-regarded Detroit Boat Club shell by 1 1/2 lengths in the final round, winning in the impressive time of 6 min., 47 seconds. Only once before, and never in this century, has a crew won the Thames Cup three consecutive times.

The crew maintained a steady 32 to 37 beat, enough to maintain a constant lead over the Detroit eight. At the end of a mile, the varsity was almost two lengths in front, and though Detroit shortened the gap in the final stretch, it could not catch up with Coach Larry Coolidge's boat.

Among the 39 crews that entered the regatta was a privately-supported crew from Eliot House, which fell by the wayside earlier in the competition.

The varsity lightweights also broke the Thames Cup record on Wednesday, the first day of the regatta. In beating the Isis Boat Club, the lightweights rowed a 6 min., 39 sec. record race over the 1 and 5/16 mile course. Kent School of Connecticut also provided tough competion for the Crimson.

Heavies in Syracuse

The Crimson's heavyweight crew is currently working out on the 1 1/2 mile Lake Onondaga course at Syracuse for the Olympic trials, to be held there on Thursday. Seeded fourth in the competition, the heavies face the Cornell junior-varsity and the Union Boat Club entry in its first heat.

The Big Red Jayvees are one of the two crews which frustrated the varsity's bid for a second consecutive undefeated season this year, winning by upset in May. The other crew to defeat the Crimson this year was Pennsyivuals, which, along with Cornell, California, Washington, Navy and the varsity, is rated high is the trials.