Undefeated Track Varsity to Face Holy Cross Team in Close Contest

Howard, Mullin to Lead Crimson

By Michael S. Lottman

Mid-week track meets can be fun. Infact, they're usually planned that way. But the varsity track team's clash with Holy Cross tonight at 7:45 p.m. in Briggs Cage will not be too much of a lark. The Crusaders are good, and the Crimson may find itself struggling to preserve its undefeated string.

Holy Cross is strong in the running events, and at least three races should go right down to the wire. In the 1000, Crimson captain Fred Howard and Crusader leader Jay Bowers should put on quite a show, and Holy Cross' Charlie Buchta could make it a three-man race.

Buchta will probably concentrate on the 600, where the Crimson's Don Kirkland should give him a healthy scare. Kirkland ran a fine race to take the 600 against Army in 1:15:0. Crimson coach Bill McCurdy may put Gus Schumacher in the 600, creating another three-way battle.

But the real excitement will probably be saved for the last. Unless McCurdy decides to skirt the issue--and that would not be like McCurdy--spectators still around for the two-mile relay should see one of the hottest races in years. The Crusader quartet of Buchta, Bowers, Paul Lilly, and Jack O'Connor has done under 7:40, but the Crimson can field a strong lineup, too.

Mark Mullin, Harry Rich, Schumacher, and Howard ran 8:01:1 in the Cage's box like confines Saturday, and they might knock 10 seconds off that time if they had to. With Tom Blodgett's valuable services missing, the Crimson may run into trouble, and the two-mile relay could once again decide the meet.

The mile relay could also be close, as could the dash and the jumps, especially if Crusader Tom Hennessey is in shape. Eric Talt of Holy Cross is a threat in the dash, the hurdles, and the broad jump.

Jed Fitsgerald, who waged a fascinating duel with Army's Howle Roberts in the two-mile, will double tonight in the mile and two-mile. His main opposition in the mile will probably be teammate Mark Mullin