Crimson Five Meets Yale In Last Contest Tonight

By Steven V. Roberts

Tonight the basketball team will play its final game of the season, meeting Yale at the LAB at 8:15 p.m. With a 3-10 record, the Crimson must win to avoid the ignominy of finishing in sole possession of last place. Columbia has already ended with a 4-10 mark.

Yale defeated Harvard 31-57 in their first meeting early in February, after the Crimson had battled a blizzard on its way to New Haven and arrived an hour late.

The Elis' 6 ft., 4 in. center, John Dowd, scored 25 points in that game, while teammates Bill Madden and Chip Oldt had 18 and 10 points respectively. Besides those three, the starting lineup will include Marquis Landrum and James Hanson, both senior forwards.

Madden, a junior, handles one backcourt position, and leads the team in scoring and eccentricity. He is known to do some very unusual things under the pretense of playing basketball. Oldt is also a guard, and one of only three sophomores on the squad.

For the Crimson, the lineup now remains doubtful in view of coach Floyd Wilson's Casey Stengel-like switching in the loss to Princeton Saturday. Gary Borchard, who broke out of a mid-season slump with 24 points against the Tigers, should start at one forward. Captain Bob Bowditch and Joe Deering have been the guards all season.

Kelley Could Start

But then there is the question of Pete Kelley and Denny Lynch. Kelly started the season on the bench, broke into the lineup after a few games, and became the team's second high scorer behind Borchard. He scored 13 points against Penn Friday and then sat out three quarters against Princeton.

Lynch started the first game, scored the winning basket, and then fell upon hard times. He finally gave a glimpse of his fine promise in the first Penn and Princeton games, scoring 14 and 30 points. He too remained on the bench until the Princeton game was lost.

Wilson may have achieved his purpose, whatever it was, and start Kelley and Lynch again tonight. Otherwise it could be Tom Tangeman, Bill Danner, or Fred Keating, who has been seeing a lot of action lately.

With a one-point, overtime loss to Holy Cross the only blemish on its 12-1 record, the Crimson freshman team will conclude its season against the Elis in the pre-liminary.

The Yardlings scored impressive victories over Penn and Princeton last weekend and shouldn't have too much trouble in completing their sweep of Ivy Freshman opponents.

Starting in the corners are Lenny Strauss, 6 ft., 2 in., and 6 ft., 5 in. Bob Inman. Strauss has been team team's leading scorer and one of its top rebounders despite his size. He is especially dangerous in close on rebounds and short jump shots.

Inman, also a top tennis player, is a left-hander with a looping jump shot and a good drive. The center 6 ft., 8 in. Mike Crichton, whose rebounding value is limited by his inconsiderable bulk.

Sid Davis, a running guard leads the fast break and makes 25-foot jump shots from behind the keyhole. The other guard is Barry Dym, a left-handed jump shooter and ball-handler. Ivy League Standings   W  L Princeton  11  2 Penn  9  4 Yale  8  5 Brown  7  6 Cornell  7  7 Dartmouth  4  9 Columbia  4  10 Harvard  3  10