Springfield Nine Beats Baseball Team 10-6 At Soldiers Field

The 39-degree weather was a major factor yesterday as Springfield outslugged the Crimson baseball team 10 to 6 at Soldiers Field. The Crimson outhit their opponents 15 to 12, but 10 walks made the Maroon's task an easy one.

The numbing cold caused the downfall of first Dave Larkin and then Dick Garibaldi, as Harvard returned to a .500 record with five wins and five losses.

Springfield Rallies in Fourth

Larkin, who has been impressive in several relief roles, was belted out in the fourth, when Springfield took the lead with a five run rally. Garibaldi relieved him and snuffed the rally. The Crimson then got two more runs to bring it within one, 6-5, but another spell of wildness aided the final Springfield scoring.

If the pitching was not particularly impressive, the Crimson hitting certainly was. Al Martin, Dave Morse, and Charlie Ravenel each collected three hits, while Phil Bernstein continued his hot streak with a pair of safeties. Bernstein has been slugging at the .500 mark since he replaced Jim Mullon at first base.

In an attempt to solve his third base problem, Coach Norm Shepard again used sophomore Corky Cronin, but replaced him with Mike Drummey in the late innings. Drummey has been playing right field.