CCA Councillor Belin To Fill Treasury Post

The White House will announce the appointment of G. d'Andelot Belin, a Boston attorney, a member of the Cambridge City Council, and a Yale man to the position of general counsel to the Treasury Department sometime this week.

When contacted yesterday, Belin said that he had heard about the appointment but stated that the official announcement would have to come from Washington.

Belin was elected to his first term on the Council in November of 1961. A former president of the Cambridge Civic Association, he is one of four Councillors supported by the CCA.

Belin's principal concern on the Council has been the overhaul of the Council's parliamentary procedure. He was chairman of a special committee to revise the Council's rules; among the more import and changes subsequently adopted was a provision requiring councillors to submit motions at least five days before Council meetings, in order to insure proper consideration by the members.

Belin has also been a supporter of urban renewal in Cambridge.

The vacancy left on the Council by Belin's departure will probably be filled by Mrs. Cornelia B. Wheeler, whose bid for re-election failed last year. Under the proportional representation system of election, voters pick nine candidates on a scale of one to nine, and first choice votes originally cast for Belin will go to the candidate who was the second choice on the ballots. Mrs. Wheeler, who also has CCA backing, is expected to be the main recipient of Belin's votes.

Although Belin's appointment has been rumored for some time, the announcement has been saved till after last week's election, possibly because word of Mrs. Wheeler's probable accession to the Council would have jeopardized her campaign against incumbent Democrat Francis X. McCann for a seat in the State Senate. McCann won, however.