Council Discusses Plan to Convert Upstairs of Union to College Center

The Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs appointed a committee last night to determine whether there is a need for a common student union and what facilities might be available for such a recreation area.

The proposal came from Joseph M. Russin '64, who suggested that the second floor of the Freshman Union might be converted to provide recreation facilities for all undergraduates from Harvard and Radcliffe. He proposed that a snack bar, "perhaps administered by HSA," be established as the foundation of a student union "such as other colleges have."

In debate before the Council, Russin asserted that "Harvard is fragmented," and he declared that the "strained relationships" which exist today might be alleviated if students had a suitable informal "hang-out" available. Russin said that there was a demand, particularly among Radcliffe girls, for such a place, and "if Radcliffe girls used it, you can be damn sure that Harvard men would."

Opposition to Russin's proposal came principally from freshmen represent actives who feared that the plan would mean the loss of the Union as a center for Freshman activities. Frederic I. Kass '66 objected, "If you want to do this, build your own place; but don't take ours away. We want our Union."

Russin replied, "The question is not what this year's freshman class wants, but what is for the best interests of the University." Other representatives suggested that a student center might be located elsewhere than the Union, "possibly," said one, "in a portion of the new Holyoke Center."

The Council also discussed the question of inter - University dining privileges, specifically whether Radcliffe girls should be allowed to dine on an interhouse basis in House dining halls on date nights. Russin said that he was aware of movements by several House committees to promote such a policy, and that he opposed this form of "mergerism."

HCUA took no action on the matter. The Council voted to take a "poll of opinion" on the question of extending interhouse privileges, but when the vote was taken, all members present abstained.