HSA Stops House Linen Deliveries 12-14 Days Before End of Term

By Ronald J. Greene

Harvard Student Agencies announced yesterday that it would make its last linen deliveries to the Houses this week, two weeks before the end of the term. Students who do not want to sleep on the same sheets for 12 or 14 days (depending on the House) will have to pay $1 per week rental for fresh sheets.

HSA General Manager Dustin M. Burke '52 told the CRIMSON yesterday that although he did not know anything about this particular decision, the last delivery date did "sound a little early to me."

"If people signed up for the whole year it seems logical that they ought to get the linen", he said. He added that he would discuss the decision with the linen service manager today.

The manager, Bradlee T. Howe '63, declared yesterday that the new schedule "really doesn't affect that many people." He claimed that many people get done with their exams and leave before the end of the terms.

[Soc. Sci. 2, Bio. 2, Music 1, English 160, Hum. 141d, and several other large courses meeting Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at 11 a.m. all hold their exams on June 4, the next to the last day of exam period.]

The cut-off date was determined, Howe said, by Gordon Linen, HSA's supplier. The contract between HSA and Gordon calls for 32 weeks of service, and the week of May 22 (the last week of deliveries) was just the last one covered, he explained.

"This is the same schedule Gordon has always used," he said. "They run it this way largely so they can pull their linen inventory together."

Under the schedule printed in yesterday's Student Calendar, students in Adams, Claverly, Eliot, Quincy, and Winthrop would receive their last delivery tomorrow. Students in Dunster, Kirkland, Leverett, and Lowell would get linen on Thursday, May 24. Freshman depots would be open until Sunday, May 27. The last exams are scheduled for Tuesday, June 5.