Prof. Holton Plans to Take Year's Leave

Gerald Holton, professor of Physics, will take a sabbatical leave next year to study under a $42,000 research grant awarded him by the National Science Foundation. Holton's absence will not affect the scheduling of either of the two lower-level courses he teaches.

Although Holton presently lectures in both Natural Sciences 2 and Physics 1b, the Physics department regularly rotates its teaching assignments and Holton's leave should not entail any unusual problems.

"Nat. Sci. 2 has always been considered the responsibility of the Physics Department as a whole rather than that of any individual professor," Holton declared last night. The change of lecturers would therefore not affect the course, he added.

Strauch May Lecture

John H. Finley '25, chairman of the Committee on General Education, said yesterday that Kari Strauch, profesor of Physics, will probably serve as Fall Term lecturer in Nat. Sci. 2 next year.

Holton's leave will apparently not affect the work of the Committee to Review General Education, of which he is a member. Holton stated that Dean Ford apopinted him to the Committee this Fall with full knowledge of his upcoming leave. He added that while he is in Cambridge he will work with the Committee whenever they ask him to.

Holton was awarded the NSF grant for continuation of his researches on the properties of liquids at high pressures. He plans to spend part of his leave doing research in Cambridge and the rest in Princeton as a member of the Institute for Advanced Study.