Bus Service to Radcliffe Could Begin Next Term

The Harvard Student Agencies may inaugurate its Radcliffe bus service at the beginning of next semester, John W. Harmon '65, organizer of the project, said yesterday. If the state approves the proposed bus route the HSA will seek to hire a bus and driver from the Metropolitan Transit Authority for a three-week trial period, Harmon said.

The MTA, which operates Greater Boston's mass-transportation system, asked the Massachusett Department of Public Utilities this week for permission to run a bus up to the Radcliffe Quad. A date for a public hearing on the request will be set within the next few days, and the hearing itself could be held before the end of the year.

Assuming approval follows this rapid timetable--and that no unexpected difficulties emerge during contract talks with the MTA--the Radcliffe bus can begin operation early in February, according to Harmon.

He said the bus would run on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., beginning one round trip at about ten minutes before the hour and another on the half hour. After cruising through the Radcliffe Quad, the bus would travel down Garden St. to Mem Hall, make one stop, circle the Hall, and then return to Radcliffe.

One-way fares would cost ten cents, Harmon said, and students would pay in advance so that the bus driver could collect tickets rather than money. A poll of 'Cliffies earlier this year showed that a dime was the highest fare likely to be attractive, Harmon added.

Although the HSA has not yet reached agreement with the MTA on the terms of its proposed contract, Harmon noted that the MTA had offered the most reasonable charter rates of all the companies he had approached. The Authority is seeking state approval, he said, "on the chance that we'll sign up."

Bradford K. Perry '64, President of HSA, said that he did not expect revenues from the bus line "to do more than barely cover costs, if they do that." Calling the line "strictly a service for Radcliffe girls, and not a financial deal by the HSA," he said it would provide jobs for students by giving 'Cliffies the opportunity to sell tickets.