Wrestling Team Beats Quakers

Harvard's best wrestling team in a decade surged past the University of Pennsylvania Saturday to take undisputed possession of second place in the Ivy League race.

Coach Bob Pickett described the 20-12 victory as a "supreme team effort," but singled out Ben Brooks for special praise. Although the 177 Ib. sophomore had not been able to practice for two weeks, he won a hard-fought 8-5 decision over Penn star Ron Black.

Fred Pereira scored the meet's only pin, while Tom Gilmore and John Hoffman won decisions for the Crimson in the 123 and 191 pound divisions. Jim Gaffney, John Mamana, and Bob Fastov fought to draws, and no Crimson matman was decisioned by more than two points.

Undefeated captain John Kolodney was unable to compete because of a knee injured in practice on Friday, but coach Pickett predicts he will be able to face Princeton next Saturday.

The Crimson now boasts a 2-1 record in Ivy League competition, having lost only to Cornell, which is favored to repeat once again as loop champion.