New Organization Attempts to Bring Federal Contracts to Mass. Firms

A foundation designed to draw government space contracts to Massachusetts and give financial support for scientific research to educational institutions will begin functioning in a few days.

Two separate bodies will comprise the organization--Baystate Science Foundation and Advanced Technology, Inc.

Charles A. Coolidge '17, Senior Fellow of the Corporation and a director of A.T.I. said it will "hopefully be a profit-making corporation." This half of the organization will seek to draw Federal space contracts to electronics firms in the state.

The other half of the organization, Baystate Science Foundation, will be a charitable organization. Its board of trustees, composed of prominent North-Eastern business leaders, will distribute any profits to educational institutions. The trustees will also appoint the directors of A.T.I.

Depends on Industry

Coolidge said the success of the organization would primarily "depend on how much industry wants it." He added that the reactions of the industries which would be affected by the plan "seemed satisfactory."

Coolidge observed that "Harvard will not take as active a part in the project as M.I.T." is more oriented toward technological work.

"I hope members of the Harvard faculty will serve on the advisory committee," Coolidge added. He noted, however, that faculty members would serve only in an advisory capacity.

A vital bargaining point of State political leaders seeking to lure industry has been the pool of scientific talent represented by Harvard and M.I.T.

Coolidge doubted that more than one organization of this type is needed. He emphasized, however, that the organization does not want to prevent corporations from negotiating independently with the government. He felt that large firms frequently "stand alone" although the smaller electronics corporations may work only through A.T.I.