PAX Looks For Peace Politicians Who Could Win

Massachusetts PAX, a political action group formed from the remnants of the Hughes campaign, is out to support "winners, not losers," according to Jerome Grossman, chairman of the PAX executive committee.

Speaking before a Tocsin meeting, on Wednesday. Grossman explained that the peace movement had to obtain political influence within the existing two-party system. He appealed to Tocsin members to provide a peace braintrust that could give candidates the information needed to uphold a PAX platform.

In the 1962 campaign, the PAX members proved their abilities to raise funds and organize campaign workers, Grossman said. He suggested that these abilities now be used as "weapons" to obtain "political power" through Democratic and Republican candidates. Already plans are being made for the 1964 elections.

Summarizing his experience as Hughes for Senate campaign manager, Grossman noted that "the theory of the independent and alienated voter does not work." He felt that those voters who had been dissatisfied with Democrats had protested by voting for Republicans and vice versa. Thus the Hughes independent movement could not have captured any major segment of the vote.

Nine Tocsin members volunteered to do research for the future peace campaigns. They will seek out potential candidates and brief them on "concrete alternatives to war."