Brown Offense Will Feature Passes; Hall, Dunda to Test Crimson Defense

Brown beat Cornell last week 31-28 on the strength of three touchdown passes, a 21-yarder, a 54-yarder, and a 55-yarder. Such success through the air against a team as solid as the Redmen would be unheard of for most Ivy teams, but it's only slightly unusual for the Bruins. Brown, you see, is a passing football team.

In last year's Harvard game, quarterback Jim Dunda threw 35 times, and, with the current Crimson pass defense enjoying the reputation that it does, Harvard should see more of the same Saturday.

But Dunda will be doing only half of the work this year.

To strengthen his offensive game, Brown coach John McLaughry has moved halfback Bob Hall back to quarterback, where he now alternates with Dunda. And it was Hall who threw two of those bombs against Cornell last week. The junior also quarterbacked the Bruins most of last year.

One indication of how heavily the Bruins rely on their air game is the rushing statistics from the Cornell encounter. Hall was the leading ground gainer for Brown with only 22 yards in a piddling three attempts.

Hall is the team's leading runner of the year with 338 yards in 69 carries. Fullback John Kelly is right behind him.

The favorite target for Hall and Dunda is John Parry, simply the best offensive end in the league. Parry has led the Ivies in receiving the past two years and holds the all-time league record for receptions in one game, nine against the Crimson two years ago.

So far this year, Parry has hauled in 24 passes for 285 yards and two touchdowns.

Carr Star

Another Brown receiver who impressed scouts in the Cornell game is right halfback Bill Carr. He was on the scoring end of the 54-yard and 55-yard touchdown serials, outspeeding defenders on both plays to reach the end zone. The passes were the second and third touchdown throws he has caught this year.

It's not unusual--Columbia comes to mind--for an offense that relies so heavily on the air game to complete its share of the passes but have trouble getting points on the scoreboard.

But in the Dunda-Parry years, the Bruins have been shut out only once, by the current Princeton team two weeks ago.