Quincy Runners Plod to Victory

The race is not always to the swift, says the Good Book, and the Quincy House cross-country team heartily agrees. Without placing a man in the first five finishers, they carried off the intramural championship Wednesday.

First across the line for Quincy was Bob Peet, in sixth place, well behind winner Clive Kileff of Dunster. But Peet was followed by teammates Bill Hurtt in eighth and Harald Tzeutchler in ninth, and depth made the difference.

The final tally gave Quincy 57 points, just ahead of Eliot's 62. Dunster was third with 35, and Leverett fourth with 112. Other scores were Kirkland, 119, Lowell, 129, Dudley, 160, Winthrop, 260, and Adams, 262.

Other high individual finishers included Guy Carden of Lowell in second place, Pete Miller of Eliot in third, Jim Wessner of Dudley in fourth, and Leverett's Jerome Ewing in fifth.

The course, two miles in length and absolutely flat, curved around the parimeter of the athletic fields near Soldier's Field and finished on the track. It was the same route that the freshmen took in their meet on Friday.