PBH Discusses Federal Help for Tutorial Project

Two members of Phillips Brooks House attended a Washington conference this weekend to discuss federal funding of education programs in the national war on poverty.

Gall Gillam '65-4, president of PBH, and Gordon A. Donaldson Jr. '67, chairman of the Roosevelt Towers tutorial program, were invited by the Office of Economic Opportunity to discuss possible co-operation between student tutorial programs and Community Action Agencies throughout the country.

Representatives of 15 other programs, almost all university-based, also attended the meeting.

The conference was a step in the attempt by the federal government to alleviates poverty through education. Another such meeting will be convened later in the year.

This was not the first time that PBH has served the OEO in an advisory capacity. It was invited in 1962 to help formulate plans for VISTA, the domestic Peace Corps.

The war on poverty is also being waged through more extensive aid to public Schools. Phillips Brooks House has been included on an advisory board to the Cambridge public school system, to help lecide on the use of additional federal funds.