YD's Win Allies As Legal Group Blasts Committee

The Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts has attacked the Cambridge School Committee for its refusal to let Stokely Carmichael speak at Rindge Technical High School auditorium.

The CLUM has also guaranteed legal aid to the Harvard-Radcliffe Young Democrats, sponsors of Carmichael's speech, if they decide to sue for use of the auditorium. The Young Dem Executive Committee will meet tonight to vote on whether to take the School Committee to court.

Speakers chairman James Roosevelt '68 said that the civil liberties group is eager to seek court action and that both CLUM chairman Howard S. Whitside and Young Dem advisor Robert G. McCloskey '46 think the club has a good chance to win if they decide to sue.

However, Roosevelt favors going ahead with plans to use Briggs Cage for the address. "This is the kind of thing I'd like to see contested by a Cambridge citizen's group, not University students," Roosevelt said.

Roosevelt added that the CLUM's backing came as no surprise to him, but would probably influence many of the executives to vote for going to court.