Leverett Squad Brings Perfect Record To Harkness Trophy Battle With Yale

For the third straight year, Leverett House will represent Harvard in the annual battle between Harvard and Yale intramural football champions.

Yale's champ, Ezra Stiles College, will defend the Harkness Trophy, which is awarded each year to the winner of the game.

Leverett won the Harvard title with a perfect record of eight wins and no losses. Stiles may present the stiffest challenge of the year for the Bunnies.

In the battle of division champions at Yale, Stiles defeated a previously unbeaten Jonathan Edwards team, 12-6.

Stiles depends largely on the running of halfbacks Jim Shepard and Jon Mills. Those two scored consistently through the year, and Mills carried for one of the touchdowns against Edwards.

Shepard also offers a passing threat. The other touchdown in the Stiles-Edwards game came on a toss from Shepard to end Jim Worcester.

A strong defense rounds out the Yale champs. Big tackle Dan Johnson holds down the line, while Leverett must keep its passes away from the hands of defensive back Steve Corey.

Last year the trophy went to Yale when Leverett lost to Davenport, 13-6. In 1964 the Bunnies won the title with a 12-8 victory over the same Davenport team.

This year the pressure will be on Stiles to score, as the Bunnies have not given up a TD all season.

Soccer

In the soccer championship, Eliot will meet Yale's Stillman College. Stillman will depend on their one star, an English graduate student associated with the College.

The touch football title will be decided between Dunster and Yale's Davenport College.

Other tackle games include a play-off between Harvard's second place Eliot and Yale's runner-up, Edwards. Eliot won last year's contest over Edwards on a last minute pass from quarterback Bunk Reed.

Another tackle game to watch will be Winthrop against Davenport. Davenport, last year's Harkness Trophy winner, finished third at Yale. Winthrop, with a game left to play, is third in House ball behind Eliot.