Rockefeller for New York

Nelson A. Rockefeller has been a good governor of New York for eight years. He has demanded stringent air and water pollution control programs, and fought a recalcitrant state legislature to get appropriations for secondary and elementary education. The expanding, high-quality State University of New York is an ornament of his tenure, and may one day rival California's in size and excellence.

His courage is undisputed. The sales tax enacted at his behest violated his 1962 campaign pledge, but he needed it to implement progressive programs. Rockefeller also bucked vociferous upstate-Republican opposition to push through New York's Medicaid program, an expansion of the 1965 Medicare Act on a statewide basis, which is a model for all states.

The Democratic Party has chosen a mediocrity, Frank D. O'Connor, to run against Rockefeller. He has conducted a disorganized, lackluster campaign, which admittedly lacks Rockefeller's financial resources. To his credit, O'Connor has taken a few more liberal stands that Rockefeller (e.g., stronger support of the Civilian Review Board for New York City), but this is counterbalanced by an anti-civil libertarian record in the State Senate during the 1950's and an undistinguished performance as Queens County District Attorney and New York City Council President.

A stronger Democratic candidate might have capitalized on Rockefeller's sagging state popularity. The governor has made mistakes: the unfortunate sales tax promise, appointment of some officials who proved corrupt, a milquetoast conservation policy, and an unsympathetic stance on New York City's revenue problem.

But O'Connor is not the man to profit from these errors. He is a "Johnny-come-lately" liberal who appears committed to a boss-ridden party, demonstrating little executive ability or imagination. His administration would probably be as progressive as the state legislature's Democratic leaders. That is not enough.

The Liberal Party of New York has a better alternative in Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. He has waged an indignant, fiery campaign against the Democratic bosses, and made some laudable suggestions for change. However, he lacks intellect, administrative ability, imagination, and power to mold public opinion, all of which Rockefeller has shown.

An O'Connor defeat will force Senator Robert F. Kennedy to revitalize the moribund state Democratic party. This alone should entice many liberals to vote for Rockefeller on Tuesday.

The New York governorship has been filled by distinguished leaders of both parties for more than 40 consecutive years. For the voters of that state to end that tradition by defeating Rockefeller Tuesday would be a sad error.