Harvard Upset Leaves League Race in Turmoil

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

As Harvard dropped to the ranks of the once-vanquished last Saturday, three other teams -- Princeton, Dartmouth, and Cornell -- joined the Crimson at the top of the Ivy League.

Dartmouth and Cornell won against the League's weaklings, but this Saturday they must face each other. Dartmouth routed Columbia, 56-14, in what was the most lopsided game of the Ivy season thus far. Behind the power-running of fullback Pete Walton and the outside scampering of halfbacks Gene Ryzewicz and Paul Klungess the Indians scored touchdowns seven of the 10 times they had the ball in the first three quarters.

In the final quarter, with the score 49-0, Dartmouth coach Bob Blackman kindly began throwing his substitutes into the game. Even the Dartmouth fans cheered as Columbia's Bob Peters tossed two touchdowns to Bill Brown.

Larson Coltapses

Cornell defeated Brown by the surprisingly narrow-margin of 23-14 as halfback Pete Larson scored three times for the Big Red. Larson gained 136 yards in 23 carries to raise his season total to 784 yards. That's 35 yards more than the entire Brown team has raished this season.

John McMahon, Brown's sophomore quarterback, ran for a three-yard score and passed to Chip Filak for the second Bruin touchdown. The Cornell ground attack, which grinded out 248 yards, kept Brown in poor field position for most of the afternoon.

In the other Ivy League contest last Saturday, Yale had to scrap for a field goal in the final 21 seconds in order to top Penn, 17-14. After both teams had exchanged two touchdown passes and 74 aerial attempts, Yale's Dan Begel settled down to a 20-yard field goal to decide the outcome.

Creeden Goes Wild

Quarterback Bill Creeden established passing marks for Penn as he completed 21 of 48 passes for 289 yards. He threw both touchdowns, of 63 and three yards, to George Burrell.

Trailing 14-7 going into the final period of play, Yale's Pete Doherty tied the game up, 14-14, with his second touchdown pass of the afternoon this one covering 34 yards to Jim Fisher.

In the final period Penn penetrated deep into Yale territory twice, but an interception and personal foul penalty halted both drives, Yale paid a heavy price for the victory, however. Safetyman Paul Jones was hauled from the field with a knee injury, and halfback Calvin Hill was carried away with a separated shoulder.

In this Saturday's contests, Harvard will have its turn to play the League weakling, Brown. Meanwhile, Dartmouth meets Cornell, and Yale faces Princeton in crucial tests between the top teams. At the bottom of the agenda, there's a Columbia-Penn clash.