Adams

If God had wanted all those funny buildings around Plympton St. to be a House, he would have made them look like one. Adams House, in article and everything else, is a makeshift affair, but its very makeshiftness makes it perhaps the most stimulating and by far the most lovable of the Houses.

Adams has three main residential sections-Randolph, C-Entry and Westmorly. The Randolph courtyard looks dandy in the rain especially when seen to the rhythmic accompaniment of the heating pipes. Randolph's marble sinks add a touch of gentility, except when they fall apart as they occasionally do. For those who admire elegance gone to seed, Randolph is the place to live.

Westmorly with its large leaded windows and C-Entry with its two-bedroom doubles (individual washbasins and medicine chests, mind you) are honest to god elegant. Wherever you live you'll be close to Tommy's and Cahaly's, which to the true Adams House type is all that matters.

That is of course assuming that the arty bohemian Adamsite really exists. Actually, more Adams graduates in the Class of '65 went to business school than from any other House. But there are still enough of the drama wonks, CRIMSON editors, and solitary swimmers to keep the fine House drama society (the most active at Harvard), the Oxbridgey library, assorted publications, and the unique House swimming pool going.

The House dining room, coated with full length portraits of Adamses, is steeped in Veritas. The food, ever since Quincy stole the chef, is too often steeped in grease. But the conversation is lively and long-lived with men like Professor Daniel Seltzer and tutors Neil Harris and Bill Nestrick actually eager to talk with un-dergraduates.

Under Master Reuben Brower (currently on sabbatical) and Acting Master G. Wallace Woodworth, Adams has gained a reputation as the laissez-faire House. Enforcement of regulations is low-key and relaxed, but any Freshman intoxicated with visions of going to breakfast, wearing a T-shirt, with his mistress on his arm, should drink a cup of strong coffee. The girl will be asked to return at 4 p.m. and Neil Harris will probably ask the student to wear a tie. But he'll call it a cravat, which makes everything all right.