Kirkland

Harvard lore typically classifies Houses into two categories; the "traditional House"--rich in history and House spirit, proud of its activities and athletics--and the "unconventional House"--filled with creative individuals who, free of House restraint, produce plays, concerts, magazines, political activity, and endless dining hall conversation.

Kirkland fits into neither, or, one might say, both of these classifications. Graced by two Georgian courtyards, a pre-revolutionary wood-frame House library, and the College's most elegant dining hall, Kirkland is never-theless best noted for its vocal, creative membership, its cooperative but un-restrictive administration, and its active, accessible House staff. Yet despite the informal atmosphere, House spirit is extraordinarily strong.

What endears Kirkland men to their House is the intense, if quiet, activity which pervades every face of House life. Always noted for its out-standing music program, Kirkland sponsors numerous concerts on Sunday afternoons. The Ford Dinner Program frequently provides sumptuous meals with distinguished guests, followed by talks in the cavernous Junior Common Room; prominent professors are regular guests at concentration tables. The writing Seminar and Logos, the weekly newspaper, provide an outlet for House literati, and the Deacon's Testament has been revived at Harvard's only House yearbook. On the lighter side, Kirkland posseses four billiard tables, holds an annual Bierstube (German band and all the beer you can drink), and is highly successful in interhouse athletics. The House Committee is presently negotiating a mixer with two dorms at Wellesley.

But Kirkland's greatest asset is undoubtedly its faculty, widely recognized as the most active in the House system. Professor Alfred's dinner table has become a daily institution, and many other noted Faculty members frequently eat with students in the dining hall. The relationship is very relaxed, usually on a first-name-basis. This atmosphere of informality and friendliness is typical of Harvard's smallest House. In his first year, Arthur Smithies has proved to be a devoted and popular Master. His enthusiasm and concern have greatly assisted House activities and his Sunday night beer parties are well attended.

Recently, by scheduling 45 deconversions over three years (ending next year), the College has reduced overcrowding to where about 80 per cent of students will have their own rooms--although they will still be able to hear the MBTA yards. But in Kirkland, it is the people who count, and, proud of their traditional strength in Social Sciences and Humanities and prominence in Music, Kirkland men are convinced that their special combination of activity, spirit, informality, and freedom gives them the best of each of Harvard's two House-styles.